Thursday, January 27, 2011

inspiration: creamed honey

A coworker is a beekeeper on the side and he's been selling some really good honey. This time he made creamed or spun honey with cinnamon.  Folks have been raving about it so I bought a jar earlier this week.  I've been thinking about what to eat it with.

So when I got home I immediately looked up a recipe for biscuits.  I actually wanted some corn bread but I haven't had time to go to Trader Joe's where they have a really good mix.  But I found a simple recipe for buttermilk biscuits and the clincher as usual is that I had all the ingredients.

I then thawed some chicken breast tenders and dredged them in flour mixed with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  I fried them in a little bit of olive oil. Afterwards, I drained off some of the oil so I can use the pan drippings for the sauce.

I had a can of cream of mushroom so I dressed that up by adding some sliced fresh mushrooms and chopped onions.  I sauteed both in the pan drippings then added the cream of mushroom.  I thinned it a bit with about a quarter cup of heavy cream.  That little carton of heavy cream is lasting us a long time!  For veggies I boiled some asparagus.

The dinner presented well and the flavors were what I was expecting and wanting.  The creamed honey was excellent on the biscuits.  It was a good dinner overall.  Very satisfying!  

No comments: