Tuesday, January 4, 2011

simple enchilada sauce

My husband is better than I am when it comes to making a truly homemade meal.  For example he likes to make his own spaghetti sauce.  I think there are really good quality jars out there and I just doctor it up a bit.  I made my first batch of buffalo wings (fried not baked) and he asked if I made the sauce.  Nope. The first time I made enchiladas, there was that question again:  “Have you ever made your own enchilada sauce?”

There was challenge in that question. I heard it loud and clear.

So I finally took the time to look up a recipe and found this.  And of course I had to personalize it and added 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika. Excellent!  Really easy to make and not at all intimidating.  I made turkey enchiladas, using leftover turkey from Christmas.  Now I have my own jar of my own sauce!  I hope to continue to make my own sauces which really is a lot better with less preservatives.  And if you’re asking if I used homemade chicken stock for the sauce – nope!  Sigh.  I’ll have to make stock soon.

Tonite it’s Cornish game hen for dinner.  I like these little guys.  They are a lot tastier than chicken and one hen is a perfect serving for two.  I combine all sorts of spices with a little bit of butter and then I spread the mixture under the skin.  I will bake the two halves skin up and sprinkle a little bit of parmesan and bread crumbs on top for a bit of crunch.  I still have leftover au gratin potatoes from the last two nights (made from scratch!!!) and I’ll steam some broccoli for the veggies.

I’m trying to serve a lighter fare for dinner.  Since getting married, my husband and I have gained weight and primarily because we tend to have really big dinners.  I think our breakfast and lunches are fairly healthy with good proportions.  But dinner…we tend to pig out.  So I’m doling out our portions so we don’t go for seconds.  Third night in a row and I envision success!

Hope you try out this recipe soon. And add your own touch to it and make it your own.

No comments: