Saturday, January 22, 2011

a special treat

Cooking this week has been uninspired because it's my busiest week at work.  Thankfully my husband is low maintenance and appreciates whatever ends up being our dinner.  And more importantly he doesn't mind leftovers.  I have to admit that I can get really creative with leftovers.  I don't just rewarm them; I try to serve it with different sides, etc.  Or make an entirely different meal with it, like using leftover pork chops to make moo shu pork.  But that will have to be another post.

I am even more thankful when my husband takes a turn at making dinner.  Because he is an excellent cook...I would even say chef level.  He is naturally creative at it and is more knowledgeable than I am about spices and flavors.  I do most of the cooking because I'm fast and organized.  Also, he usually comes home dead-tired from a job he doesn't enjoy.  Reverse for me so I'm the default cook and it's worked out.

But this week, with the crazy stress at work, my husband cooked dinner Wednesday.  And it was fantastic!  We had gotten a fresh red snapper at the Asian market (where the fish and seafood are awesome and affordable!!!) and he made a crab & portabella stuffing for it.  And the white sauce he poured on it before serving had sherry and heavy cream!  Decadent and just simply incredible.  We ate it with rice and broccoli and a nice bottle of our favorite white wine.  The house smelled heavenly and we had a beautiful, relaxing mid-week dinner, just what I needed after a stressful day.

We both said for presentation, it should have been in a glass or ceramic dish.  Oh well - next time!

No comments: