Tuesday, February 1, 2011

how we eat, pray and love

I am blessed to have every other Friday off and I take the time to indulge taking my time to cook.  But my day ended up filling with errands so I took out the old reliable crock pot.  A couple of pork chops, half a jar each of green chile salsa and picante and set it for 10 hours on slow.  I served the shredded pork with warm tortillas and my version of Mexican rice (leftover rice, chopped red pepper, corn and black beans).

My dear husband humored me Friday night and we watched “eat, pray, love”.  The movie was a disappointment – there was nowhere near enough eating, praying or loving.  We switched to a testosterone-filled Saturday doing two brews during the day and watching the unrated version of Hangover with a dear friend after dinner.  Our Saturday eats were good:  beef and vegetable soup for lunch (using leftover NY strip steak from earlier in the week), paired with grilled herbed turkey and cheese sandwiches.  For dinner, my husband grilled some steaks and I made a very creamy mashed potatoes with parmesan cheese.  We served a side salad with it and a bottle of red wine.  Our “Hangover” friend shared both meals with us and it was awesome!

Besides the food and friends part of Saturday, my husband and I just had a fantastic day, filled with a lot of love in the midst of doing stuff we enjoy.  I helped him brew as usual and in between assisting him, I made a Valentine’s Day wreath for the front door and then started stripping the stain off a sewing center that I got from my mother-in-law.  It’s a beautiful piece of furniture but I don’t like the stain on it. I plan to turn it expresso black.

Sunday was another inspired time at church, followed by an overdue visit with my in-laws.  Dinner was a sad Italian affair at String’s, reminding me and hubby why we haven’t eaten there in over a decade. But the visit was good and welcomed!
 
I enjoyed our own version of eating, praying and loving infinitely better than the Hollywood versionJ

No comments: