Monday, February 21, 2011

mkng highlights - past week

Blogging regularly is a lot harder that I had anticipated.  Hence the highlights from the past week!

Valentine' Day:  I was inspired to make these cookies after seeing them at a local cookie shop.  But theirs were $5 each!  Granted, slightly bigger and better frosted but I couldn't spend that much on a cookie:

Rather than sugar cookies, I decided to make shortbread and I dipped the bottom in chocolate - my husband looooves chocolate. Sadly that made the cookies way too rich.  The frosting, btw, is pink.  My husband took them to work and that was just hilarious sharing these sweetheart cookies with a bunch of guys:-)

Made a really good red wine and mushroom sauce over steaks for V-Day dinner.  Later that week, we had fish tempura and I also made my first calzone. I get pizza dough from Trader Joe's that is just awesome and easy to use!  For the stuffing I used diced chicken, mushrooms, artichoke tapenade, onions and cooked all of it in some fire-roasted tomatoes and leftover marinara sauce. Perfect for Friday night!

I finally started my seedlings for the vegetable garden.  Three varieties of lettuce, snow peas, green onions, peppers and rosemary.  Hodge-podge I know but I had these seeds in stock and I'm actually starting them at the right time (I hope!).  We are in full-swing with our house projects inside and out and we both love it!  My husband provides the brawn and expertise and I bring a lot of willingness and hard work.  My husband is super-knowledgeable about a lot of things and it is great to learn from him and do these things together.

No comments: