Saturday, November 17, 2012

hearty barley soup

Last Monday we made another 6 lbs of chipotle sausage. There was about a 1/2 lb that we didn't put in the casings - just because of how the sausage stuffer works. So I decided to make some soup with the bulk sausage.

I chopped up whatever veggies we had in the fridge: zucchini, red and yellow pepper, tomatoes and some canned corn. We also had some leftover roast chicken from Sunday. I cooked the sausage first, added the shredded chicken and then added the veggies and barley along with some tomato sauce. I simmered everything for a while. I also made a batch of corn bread to go with the soup.

Tonight we're having the last of it! I've had to add more tomato sauce whenever we reheated it because it got too thick. This is the third time we're having it for dinner and it's one of those things that tastes even better as leftovers! It's started to rain again so perfect for soup. We had a long day of brewing and now it's time to relax.

No comments: