Saturday, April 28, 2012

success!

I am happy to report that my first ever cheese is a success! After 8+ weeks of aging it, we finally got to try our farmhouse cheddar. It is 2 lbs, made out of 2 gallons of pasteurized whole milk. We even got to wax it and everything.

It is softer than what we expected but the taste is fantastic for a first attempt. It had a hint of acidity in the beginning but ends well with a creamy texture. I actually like sharper cheddars but my Hubby likes the milder flavor. It held enough so I could cut it and tasted great on just a piece of bread. My Hubby was very impressed and that means a lot. My comment? "At least it's not gross." The tough self-critic. Really though, it's pretty good cheese.

We had some with our turkey burgers for dinner. The cheese went well with the 2007 Williamson Malbec.

Time to schedule some more cheese making!

No comments: