Friday, March 23, 2012

my home


Interspersed in this blog about my kitchen and garden will be posts about my home in general. And that must start with my awesome husband...my home.  Almost five years ago I met the most wonderful man ever. And God willed that we should marry and I have been abundantly blessed since. This dear man is my lifelong partner, the love of my life second only to my Lord and my choice playmate. He is beyond what I ever prayed for and imagined.

I am keenly thankful for him these past weeks because he continues to make wise decisions for us and he does this unselfishly. He is generous - the stereotypical "will give the shirt of his back." His decisions and actions assure me that our marriage is his priority. And that blesses my soul beyond belief.


This incredibly good man is also very strong. Having married later in life, I have had to be strong on my own. This is my trivial example but I have had my own Princess Bride moments, when Buttercup calls Westley "Farm Boy" and asks him to reach a high-hanging pot or a light thing she pretends she can't lift. I haven't had to pretend weakness or inability but I also no longer have to conjure up strength or skill that I don't naturally have. If I don't feel like exerting all my effort to open a stubborn jar, I just pass it on my sweetheart and he opens it effortlessly. I no longer have to high jump the counter - my sweetheart can reach those things for me now.


As I write this, it occurs to me that the Lord has given me this man to give me rest. I do not rest easily...I am always on the move, never stopping. But the presence of this man in my life allows me to take a breath, to learn to slow down my striving and enter into God-given rest. I am no longer the end-all, be-all. I owe it to my Lord and this wonderful husband to relish this gift of rest.


And my mind is also allowed to rest. This amazing man brings a lot of life experience to our marriage and I can hardly express my appreciation for that. The burden of life decisions no longer sit on my shoulders alone. I love being able to trust my husband completely. And he is exceptionally competent and highly skilled. He knows so much and does so many things so well. He's a chef, a carpenter, a mechanic, a gardener, a technician. And a master brewer!


Lastly, my spirit has found joy and laughter. My hubby is goofy and playful and doesn't take anything too seriously, including himself. He has shaken my walls and broken down unnecessary ones. He brings fun and play into my life...a constant reminder to enjoy God's goodness.



This week's Psalm is the famous Ch 23 and it occurred to me that the Lord has indeed led me to green pastures and quiet waters: marriage to this wonderful man! Thank you Lord for the blessing of my good husband.

No comments: